- 4 large delicata squash, ends cut off, sliced vertically and deseeded
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey or chicken
- ½ small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (use your favorite)
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brown meat in a large skillet over med-high heat. After meat has been cooking for about 2-3 minutes, add onion and garlic.
- Meanwhile, you may want to pop the squash in the microwave for about 1 minute to soften the squash up a bit.
- Once meat is almost fully cooked, add tomatoes, seasoning salt and spinach. Stir to combine and continue to cook until spinach is wilted. This should only take a couple of minutes.
- Use a slotted (this will help drain excess liquid) spoon to spoon the turkey mixture into the squash halves. Fill them as full as possible. You may have extra turkey mixture, which makes a very tasty salad topping.
- Bake stuffed squash at 400 degrees F. for 20 to 30 minutes, until tops are browned and squash is soft.