This delicious apple pie recipe makes my favorite apple pie ever! Mouthwatering apples with sugar and cinnamon are nested between 2 layers of the flaky and tender crust - amazing!
Serves: 8 servings
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2½ lbs cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
Pie crust dough or use a store bought crust
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- ⅓ cup cold water
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
Make the pie crust dough
- Cut 2 sticks of butter into cubes.
- Put butter, flour, salt and baking powder in a food processor bowl fitted with a steel blade, and process for 30 seconds.
- Add ⅓ cup cold water to the food processor and process for 1 minute, or until the mixture turns into dough.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and divide into 2 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece of dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Make the apple filling
- Add the lemon juice to apple slices and toss to evenly distribute.
- Melt 3 tbsp butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the apple slices, sugar and cinnamon, and cook, stirring periodically, for 5 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, lift the apples from the pan and move the to the bowl, leaving the released liquid in a frying pan. Discard the liquid.
- Sprinkle the apple slices with cornstarch and toss to combine.
Assemble the apple pie
- Use 1 tbsp of butter to butter the 10-inch non-stick round pie dish.
- Lightly flour a pastry board and a rolling pin.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator.
- Roll out the first dough disk to about 12 inches in diameter.
- Carefully lift the dough and transfer it to the baking dish, so the dough lines up the bottom and sides of the dish. Pierce the dough on the bottom in several places with a fork.
- Put the apple filling in the apple pie on top of the dough.
- Roll out the second dough disk to 11 inches in diameter.
- Carefully lift the dough and put it on top of the apple pie.
- Pinch the edges of the pie all around the pie to seal.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl to make the egg wash. Brush the top crust with the egg wash using a pastry brush.
- With a sharp knife, make several slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the pie in a preheated 375F oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
If the dough has been refrigerated overnight and gets too hard to roll, just leave it on the counter for 20 minutes or until it's pliable enough to be rolled.